The holiday season is here! Here in the US, I’ve seen it shift massively towards consumerism over the past few decades – gifts of course, but also more gifts than ever before, massive yard displays of santa, lights, and snowmen, and of course lots of eating. Some estimate that waste increases by 25% over our normal consumption.
BUT it doesn’t have to be this way! Can you celebrate the holidays and not be a total grinch?
In this podcast, I offer you sustainable holiday tips to keep your season green! You can still celebrate while reducing your impact.
Specifically I go over:
- More sustainable gift giving:
- Quality over quantity
- Experiences over things – ideas for experiences
- Buying secondhand or upcycling items
- Give experiences instead of things or virtual gifts
- How to gift donations
- Purchase from companies that prioritize sustainability
- Shopping and Wrapping Gifts:
- Most sustainable shipping options
- Placing fewer orders is best
- Do we really need to wrap?
- How to wrap more sustainably if you must
- Tips for more sustainable meals and eating (it’s also better for you too!)
- Tips for more sustainable parties (when it is safe to do so)
- And MORE!
Resources and Sources Mentioned in Sustainable Holiday Tips
Stephanie Schuttler is a wildlife biologist with 17 years of experience in mammal ecology and conservation, education, and outreach. Read her inspirational story, “My Unexpected Journey Into Science” to find out how she went from the daughter of a jeweler to a Ph.D. in wildlife biology. Feel free to contact Stephanie here.