I frequently get emails asking me wildlife biologist questions: what we do, how we spend our time, and how can you better prepare for a career in wildlife biology. In this special episode of the Fancy Scientist podcast, I agreed to answer questions from one aspiring wildlife biologist for her high school assignment.
Given how much people want to know about this career, I thought it would be a great idea to answer these wildlife biologist job questions on air.
Powered by RedCircle
In this podcast episode, I answer the following questions:
- In your job, what kinds of things do you do on a daily basis? What is the ultimate goal each day?
- What is your favorite part about your job?
- What are aspects about the job that are most difficult, stressful, or overall downsides to the job that most people do not know about?
- In what capacity do you collaborate with other colleagues?
- What is the relationship like between you and your boss? If you are the boss or do not have a boss, what are your goals for employee morale?
- In your opinion, what is the best avenue to becoming qualified for the job in your career? What steps did you take to be a competitive candidate for your field (i.e. Bachelor’s degree, grad. school, trainings, certifications, internships, etc.)?
- What kind of benefits/perks come with the career?
- Health care
- rewards travel
- quarterly/year-end bonuses
- What kind of upward mobility is available in your job? Essentially, how much room is there to grow in the career and take on different positions?
- How long did it take you to get to where you wanted to be in your career? What did it look like to get to where you are in your career?
- Promotions or raises
- New job positions within your company or at different companies
- What should someone who is looking into your career know before getting into the field?
- If I were to pursue this career, what advice would you have for me?
- Is there anything else you think I should know if I were to commit to this job?
Have more wildlife biologist job questions? I have tons of blog posts on this subject. Check out the posts listed below.
Blog posts and resources mentioned in Wildlife Biologist Job Questions Answered:
Stephanie Schuttler is a wildlife biologist with 17 years of experience in mammal ecology and conservation, education, and outreach. Read her inspirational story, “My Unexpected Journey Into Science” to find out how she went from the daughter of a jeweler to a Ph.D. in wildlife biology. Feel free to contact Stephanie here.